The Weight Assessment & Management Clinic is designed to assess and manage patients with any of the following:
- Chronic weight problem, with repeated episodes of weight regain after successful weight loss or repeated failed weight loss attempts.
- Severe obesity (BMI >35 kg/m2).
- Medical conditions related to obesity (e.g. type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, polycystic ovary syndrome, depression, obstructive sleep apnoea, liver dysfunction, impaired physical capacity).
- Past bariatric surgery, requiring ongoing care.
- Considering bariatric surgery.
Patients may see the Physician or a Dietitian for their initial assessment.
Each patient is managed according to their individual needs, history and preferred treatment strategies. The following treatment options can be discussed and are offered:
- Dietary/lifestyle programs, including very low energy diets.
- Pharmaceutical treatments.
- Devices to assist with weight loss.
- Referrals to other specialists for associated medical conditions.
- Surgical options, including:
- pre-operative assessments
- referral to an appropriate surgeon
- ongoing post-operative medical and dietetic care (for patients referred by the clinic and for those who have undergone surgery in the past).
Patients who attend the clinic also have the opportunity to become involved with Clinical Research Trials undertaken by our researchers.
Rights and responsibilities
What are your rights and responsibilities as a client of Baker IDI Education Services and what to expect from our service and staff? More information...