Led by Professor John Dixon
The Weight Assessment & Management Clinic is designed to assess and manage patients with any of the following:
- Chronic weight problem, with repeated episodes of weight regain after successful weight loss or repeated failed weight loss attempts.
- Severe obesity (BMI >35 kg/m2).
- Medical conditions related to obesity (e.g. Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, polycystic ovary syndrome, depression, obstructive sleep apnoea, liver dysfunction, impaired physical capacity).
- Past bariatric surgery, requiring ongoing care.
- Considering bariatric surgery.
Patients may see the Physician or a Dietitian for their initial assessment.
Each patient is managed according to their individual needs, history and preferred treatment strategies. The following treatment options can be discussed and are offered:
- Dietary/lifestyle programs, including very-low energy diets.
- Pharmaceutical treatments.
- Devices to assist with weight loss.
- Referrals to other specialists for associated medical conditions.
- Surgical options, including:
- Pre-operative assessments.
- Referral to an appropriate surgeon.
- Ongoing post-operative medical and dietetic care (for patients referred by the clinic and for those who have undergone surgery in the past).